Tuesday, April 22, 2014

S Is For Sawder

Sawder - Verb, To Flatter


Let's be honest, a little bit of flattery goes a long way. As long as it's done the right way..like the email below that I got from one of my best students this semester.





Hi Professor,

I have a very big problem. Our revised essays were due this morning and my car broke down on the way to class.  I spent the next 2 hours waiting at a gas station for my stepmom to pick me up but because she was on her lunch break, she took me to wait at her house. (I live with my uncle.) I'm probably stuck here until about 3pm at my stepmom's house until my uncle can pick me up and use his AAA to tow it to a mechanic.

All I have is my printed copy with me so I can't access the essay on my laptop to send with this email. Is there any chance you would take partial credit on it? It's our biggest assignment so far, I've basically written it twice now, and I would really, really appreciate getting some sort of credit so I don't fail the class for having a terrible car.

When I go on to graduate, get a decent job, and I can afford a house and almost be able to pretend I can afford kids I would totally be willing to make it a Thanksgiving tradition to say,"Okay, before I cut this turkey, aren't we all thankful Professor Yates was so nice and let me turn in that paper for some credit so I didn't fail English and lose my ability to get Pell grants?" If you can't, I understand. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask.


Just enough flattery to make me laugh hysterically--and yes, I let him turn it in.

2 comments:

  1. That is a thoughtful letter from your student regarding why he was not able to turn in a paper. It is also a good example about why students should live on or close to campus so they have more time to focus on college work, and not worry about how they will get their papers to class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this is great! I would have never been as bold but I guess it worked!

    ReplyDelete