Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B Is For Bisontine

B is for bisontine -- pertaining to bison.

Which is completely relevant because last weekend Opie and I went back to St. Louis for a family birthday party. And if you didn't realize that the Lou was a steaming hotbed of bison activity, don't worry neither did I--and I lived there for years.

But his sister's family lives near Lone Elk Park and our nephew talked us into going to see the animals before the birthday party. And not only are there elk all over the park but there is this whole bison preservation area too.
And right before you drive in, there is the best warning sign ever:


The only downside is that, after reading it, no matter what I said, when we found the herd, Opie refused to take our new car off road and investigate the intricacies of bisontine behavior.

"But I want to get a picture,” I said. “And just think of the story I could tell on my blog if a bison ATTACKED OUR CAR!"

Oddly, this didn't move him at all. And he wouldn't even let me get out of the car to take a single close up picture of the bison.

Spoilsport.

It was perhaps to make up for this that he held off for a few minutes when one of the elk got interested in us. 

“Hurry up,” he said. “Take the stupid picture!”

“Just a second, just a second,” I said. And then I realized that objects in the viewfinder might be closer than they appeared. “Go!” I yelled, frantically rolling up the window. “Go, go, go!”


Which isn't as good a story as an unprovoked bison attack but probably better for our finances and our relationship.

Who knows what C day will bring?




12 comments:

  1. We were traveling through a bison area....traffic was heavy and one came up to our Suburban and stuck his head in my window. I thought I would die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I would love to have a good story to tell, that would have freaked me out!

      Delete
  2. That would totally have me squealing away too! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Ha! I could hear you screaming all the way over here in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bison always seem like such lethargic creatures, but I wouldn't want to take a chance on provoking one.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun story! That sign is pretty daunting. I went to Yellowstone with my family as a teen and we have pictures of a donkey sticking it's head in the passenger window while my mom fed it. Weird stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bison have damaged cars? I wonder who smashed up their cars?? It's a mystery, that. :)

    Fun story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, and you still got a great post about bison, even without an attack. Win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
    cash for cars launceston
    car buyer hobart

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time. I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you.
    best cash for cars brisbane
    cash for cars brisbane

    ReplyDelete