Saturday, April 19, 2014

O Is For Onychophorous

Today’s word is onychophorous.

Onychophorous: adjective, having nails or claws.

This word is totally relevant to my life because I have 3 onychophorous creatures of my own (2 dogs and a  cat) and I am constantly having long talks with them--a situation which makes Opie insist that I need to get out of the house more and socialize with grown ups.

I think he's jealous that he doesn't speak dog as well as I do.

In any case, onychophorous also makes me think of the neighborhood cats.

Not the neighbor’s cats, the neighborhood cats…the 4 stray cats that live in our neighborhood that a couple different older guys feed but don’t actually own and who have recently decided that my flower beds make an excellent litter box.

Yesterday I had a long chat with this one:



About the whole litter box misunderstanding and about the fact that he tries to dash into our crawl space every time the garage door is open.

He let me know that I really have no right to complain.  After all, he is graciously allowing Opie and I to live RENT FREE in the house above his crawl space. Then he mentioned that, although he appreciates all the bird feeders I’ve put up-thus drawing fun and interesting prey to his yard—he never gave us permission to let dogs roam around willy-nilly.

Then he climbed his onychophorous self up the tree in front of the house and turned his back on me.

I’m still trying to figure out how I lost control of this entire situation.

7 comments:

  1. Yay, you're back! :)

    Don't feel bad, I've lost control of the situation here too. Our newest dog, Max, rules the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep getting behind--clearly a rookie at this challenge!

      Delete
  2. Yup, that's cats for you. But they are lovable all the same.

    Stopping by from the #atozchallenge !
    @JLenniDorner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably lucky that I'm so allergic or I'd be adopting all 4! Which probably wouldn't make our cat too happy (he's hairless so no allergy worries there).

      Delete
  3. LOL!! So funny!

    I had a stray a few years ago try to storm the house every time I opened the damn door. My dog was still with us then, though 15 and with bone cancer riddling her front leg. But she was still able to keep that cat at bay. Sigh, I miss my puppy. Okay..now I just lost control of this comment. and I was the only one involved. Huh. That doesn't speak well of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally understanding. I had to say goodbye to my 13 year old chihuahua last summer and I still miss him.

      Delete
  4. Good "O" post! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge, and I look forward to visiting again!

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete