Thursday, October 3, 2013

Collectibles


I'm participating in SomethingClever2.0 's Theme Thursday today and the topic is collections…and if I were still single, this would be easy-peasy because I had the coolest collection of Mickey Mouse kitchen stuff EVER. I started with a Mickey and Minnie Mouse salt & pepper set and then just took off with my usual over the top fervor… Seriously, I had every mouse appliance you could possibly ok imagine. Cookie jar, teapot, phone—those were easy!  I also had the Mickey Mouse waffle iron, the toaster that played “It’s A Small World” and burnt the Mickey icon onto the bread, Mickey Mouse sandwich maker, dozens of statues…I had Mickey Mouse shaped dinner plates and I even had Mickey Mouse wineglasses and Mickey Mouse flatware:



I was a one woman Disney land.

Then I got engaged and Opie got downright unreasonable about a Mickey Mouse kitchen.  "A grown man," he assured me, "should not have to spend his whole life eating off mouse ears."

And my rat fink family and friends took his side!
“It’s over the top,” they assured me and "It's a little creepy."

So, Opie totally thought he won...because when I moved here to Oklahoma, I downsized…but we still have a few Mickey touches:

 
But it’s not over the top (yet…more and more of those Mickeys seem to be sneaking out of their carefully packed boxes and finding their way to the kitchen.  It’s a real mystery…I, once again, suspect the cat as he did always love snuggling up in the window next to the Mickey Mouse vase and some of the frames)
 
 

In any case, while the Mickeys are relegated to storage, my new collection is Cambridge Rosepoint Crystal…This was my grandmother’s wedding crystal and they stopped making it in 1953.  It’s getting harder and harder to find but it’s just gorgeous.

It looks like this:

 And I have glasses, vases, trays etc. spreading out all over the house...Opie's bought me a few pieces for anniversaries and Valentine's Day, but he actually objects to using it too because he’s always thinks he’s going to break it…so, when I serve him pink liquids in antique crystal he starts screaming things like “I’m a delicate flower over here!”

 

“Get over it,” I insisted…until, of course, he actually did break one of the wine glasses.  Then, I decided  he’s NOT a delicate flower…and I got him something else to use.  Guess which one is his?


 
 
 
 
For other Theme Thursday posts, please click below:
 
 

15 comments:

  1. My completely unreasonable husband won't allow me to put my Hello Kitty toaster in the kitchen. I feel ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, I haven't seen the Hello Kitty toaster. I bet it's adorable!

      Delete
  2. I see nothing unreasonable about eating off of mouse ears. . . Mickey mouse ears I mean. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend was given one room to go Mickey crazy in and that room was totally packed with the ears. Then she had another kid and it was all put in boxes. My husband has a bazillion Pearl Jam things. Right now, it's all in the basement. It's hard to sneak a rock poster into the kitchen without notice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have made this deal but Opie doesn't collect anything.

      Delete
  4. Slowly and surely, Mickey will take over the kitchen! And I think the his and her wine glasses are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He totally will...in fact a few of the reusable ice cubes made it into the freezer today when the ice maker stopped working.

      Delete
  5. I figure if I clean the house I get to decorate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing how much Disney kitchen stuff is out there - a whole store in the Magic Kingdom filled with it. I'd be afraid to break your crystal too - red Solo cups are safer for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy. Every time I thought the collection was complete, Disney would come out with something else.

      Delete
  7. I got a never used Mickey pancake shaper thing (obviously I am a chef based upon my knowledge of kitchen terms) I would be happy to mail you. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer, but I actually have 2 (n different sizes)...the more I think about it, the more I realize this could be a sickness...

      Delete
  8. Bauwahh haha! I knew I wasn't the only mousekateer with a collection. The kitchen is for sure the most over run area. The hubby's never complained, but I realized I had gone off the deep end when I couldn't find my pewter Christmas voitives to match the napkin rings...

    ReplyDelete