Friday, May 9, 2014

Whining About Wine

After all, I got my new laptop after the horrible computer crash earlier this week,  final exams are over, and even though I still have essays to grade, summer has officially begun! On top of that, we may actually have sold the house in St. Louis (for more details on that drama, click here) and Princess Snowflake Sassypants is finally recovering from what can only be called the WORST HAIRCUT EVER.

Before:
Now:

Clearly, a day to celebrate.

So, ever the optimist, I once again went to the largest liquor store in the area armed with my latest issue of Food & Wine. "Any of these," I told the lady, showing her the editors' picks."I'll take any one you have."

"We don't have any," she said, just like she does every time.

Unwilling to admit defeat, I decided to try a different tactic. "I'm not married to the year," I told her. "We're not purists--just give me something by the same winery. That'll do."

"Honey," she said, just like she always does. "You're in OKLAHOMA."

"Fine," I said. "What do YOU recommend?"

Which might make you suspicious that this clerk is playing me for a sucker, that she's a scam artist just trying to upsell me on the latest, most expensive wine in the shop.

But, as she said, this is Oklahoma.

"I like this one," she said.

(Yes, as a matter of fact, that is a 
donkey with a band-aid on the label)

And you know what? It's not bad.

It's terrible.

But life is still good here in Oklahoma. Happy summer, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for a new laptop!! Boo for Oklahoma wine suggestions! Though I'd probably buy that just for the label alone. lol! Happy grading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have some Broken Ass right now.. Actually, I'd rather have some Sutter Home zinfandel blush or some Yellow Tail, but right now I'm not picky any more.. Enjoy your wine, and have a glass for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have purchased it for the label alone. lol

    ReplyDelete