Thursday, October 8, 2026

All Animals Are Pettable...Some Only Once

Well, it's been a hot minute since I've posted any content on this blog...but I'm retired, inspired, and somewhat ready to jump back in. And, honestly, the timing couldn't be better because my retirement actually coincides with one of my favorite blog topics: the annual Eric/Kimberly vacation!

And where are we going?

Alaska!

A small island off the coast of Juneau where Eric has been living and teaching the last couple of years.  We're going to explore the wilderness, tiptoe through the tundra as it were, and, because it's us, learn more about the Kushtaka, a shape-shifting creature from Tlinget legend.  It's fascinating and I can't wait to dive in.

However, Opie seems oddly unsettled by this entire trip, which is unusual. I mean, all these years, all these vacations, and he's never batted an eye. 

Sleep in the Murder Room at the Lizzie Borden House? Have a good time.

Spend a couple days hunting Big Foot and other cryptids? Drive safe and be well.

Head to The Mutual UFO Convention where I convinced one of the speakers to come to dinner and discuss the Reptoid Conspiracy to take over the world? Fine by him.

But something about the Alaskan wilderness is freaking him out and I'm pretty sure it's NOT the Kushtaka. It all started a few weeks ago when Eric texted me during dinner. "Eric's stuck in his car in his front yard," I reported and showed him this:

We finished dinner, watched a little tv, and then out of no where Opie snaps "You CAN NOT pet a bear when you're in Alaska."

"I wouldn't --"

"I mean it! Do. Not. Try. To. Get. Close To. A. Bear."

It didn't seem like the time to mention that "getting close to a bear" and "petting a bear" are 2 totally different things.

"Or a moose!  Or an elk!  You know what, don't try to touch ANYTHING you see in the wilderness."

Which, honestly, felt like he was completely overlooking the fact that, for all we know, I could be The Bear Whisperer and this might be my only chance to find out.

But it also didn't seem like the time to bring that up.

It was, of course, at this moment that Eric texted me another exciting update. "You'll never guess what's in Eric's yard now!" I said.

"You can't pet it!"

"You don't even know what it is."

 "What is it?"

"A porcupine."

Long, meaningful pause while Opie muttered under his breath about his undying love for me (at least that's what I assume he was saying).

"I'm not going to pet it." I assured him. "But it would be so cool to get a picture--"

The groans that interrupted this were loud, long-lasting and more than a little disturbing to say the very least.

In any case, I'm on my way to Alaska even as I write this, camera is locked and loaded, my fabulous friends from work gave me a Bear Bell to scare off any wayward critters and I am ready to go.

Stay tuned, pray for Opie, but we probably shouldn't show him this meme until I'm safely home!



1 comment:

  1. Whoa, some of me did rub off on my son! Have a wonderful trip, so glad you finally wrote on this blog again!

    ReplyDelete